- In June, Manitoba entered Phase 3, re-opening even more businesses and services. At Winnipeg Harvest, we evolved as well to nourish our communities across Manitoba.
- Nutritious Food Hampers: We continued to distribute our monthly food hamper that included 10-14 days of food support and other household essentials to help stretch budgets over a 4-week period. These hampers are delivered either via local drive-up pick up distribution or via our fleet of trucks to food banks and agencies in our provincial food network.
- With the introduction of CERB, the spike in food demand we initially experienced started to diminish and plateau closer to pre-COVID food assistance levels. In June, we started to experience a slight increase in new food bank clients. We anticipate that there will be another spike in the fall during flu season and/or coincident with the end of CERB and other funding programs currently offered to those who lost jobs.
- Federal government funds received through Food Banks Canada are being used in many ways: flow through funds to food banks and agencies in our provincial food network, purchasing food, providing extra staff to aid in the creation of hampers, and we have purchased new equipment to ensure the safe handling and packaging of food hampers.
- We will also be launching a Breakfast2Go Summer Edition on July 6. It will provide to food kits for all students at 5 high needs schools. The program will leverage Federal COVID, Breakfast Club of Canada and Food Banks Canada funds. The kits will be disbursed one day per week for 16 weeks. Stay tuned for additional details and a program update in our August e-newsletter.
- With the province re-opening, food donations from corporate retailers and community food drives started to increase.
*View Past Monthly Operations Updates
How You can Be a Harvest Hero.
- Donate money. We don’t know how long this crisis will last and we expect it to get worse before it gets better. Every dollar you give will feed a hungry neighbour – children, families and at-risk older adults.
- Donate time. We need of healthy individuals to help us sort and package food for people in need. Sign up to Be a Volunteer.
- Fill our bins at your local grocery store.
- Share our message and tag #wpgharvest and #winnipegharvest
If you, or anyone you know, Needs Food please direct them to us so that we can help.